How long does COVID-19 live on surfaces?
Coronavirus can survive on common materials for hours or even days.
How long a virus lives depends on the surface it's on:
- The coronavirus can exist on stainless steel objects for two to three days.
- Plastic objects can harbor the virus for two to three days.
- The virus can last on cardboard for up to 24 hours.
- A virus can last as long as four days on glass, depending on location and temperature
- The coronavirus lasted about four hours on copper
Research is still ongoing into many aspects of SARS-CoV-2, including how long it can live on various surfaces. So far, two studies have been published on this topic.
Temperature and humidity play a role in how long the virus survives.